Saturday, September 21, 2013

Kayaking Under a Full Moon (Tapas Brasileiras Sete (#7))


On Thursday, Itamar invited the entire Ipe CSC team to kayak on the river, behind his house, during the full moon.  I quickly agreed to his offer and told him we would arrive between 7:30 & 8:00.  When Hajira and I arrived, we were awed by his beautiful home and the immense lot which abuts the river.  Itamar and Hajira were in a two seat kayak and I took a single seater.  The moon "cooperated" according to script because just as we were porting the kayaks down to the river, the clouds parted and the moon lit the night sky and was glorious.  My primary wish was to see a capybara, or 2 or 3 or ?.  (The capybara is the largest rodent in the world and Itamar told me that it regularly frequents the river.)

     

As we quietly paddled upstream, we basked in the moonbeams, the calls of the nocturnal birds, and the lushness of the trees along the river.  I especially enjoyed seeing bats darting in front of us, gobbling up flying insects, as we searched for capybaras.  We returned to Itamar’s after about an hour.  We didn’t spot any capybaras, but I did experience another memorable moment of a lifetime in Uberlandia. 

        Photo   Photo

NOTE:  Uberlandia sits between two rivers (rios): the Paranaiba River and the Grande River.  I’ll have to ask Itamar which one we were on.  

This photo was taken at Camila's & Itamar's and shows a lovely, large leafed succulent plan.  the leaves are about 3 - 4 inches across. 
                          Photo 
  
#ibmcsc brazil

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING, I think you were super brave to journey an unknown river during the night, I would probably only be thinking of aligators! Although I'm sure it was spectacular by that moonlight!

    ReplyDelete