Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tapas Brasileiras #11: Right Under My "Nose"


Mother Nature did give me a pleasant surprise on Sunday evening. 

At dusk, as the sun was setting and darkness started to creep in, I was looking out my window at an empty lot which directly abuts the back of the hotel property.  Unexpectedly, I saw a Bem-Te-Vie dive bomb a bird that was sitting on the hotel’s very tall back wall.  Being an avid bird watcher, (and being better prepared for observing birds that dealing with inclement weather), I took out my trusty binoculars and honed in on this mystery bird.  

          Photo     Photo     Photo

Since the songbird dive bombed it, I knew that the bird on the wall was a predator of some sort.  When I finally got the bird in my sights, I found it was a local burrowing owl (coruja).  As I watched the first owl, a second one appeared.  Wow.  2 for the price of 1.  As I watched longer, I saw one on the ground, and eventually found a fourth one.  As it turns out (upon closer inspection), there were 2 adults and 2 owlets. Fortunately, the owlets could fly.  (Also, I found their burrow.)  The adults sounded their alarm call and let me know they didn’t appreciate an intruder in their empty lot.  
 
                Photo  Photo

Here is the irony of the story.  About 2 weeks ago, Camila and Itamar took Daniella and I to an empty lot, on the edge of town, near the industrial district to see a pair of burrowing owls.  I was very appreciative of Itamar’s willingness to show me the owls.   

That lot is about 20+ minutes away by car.  And here, directly behind the hotel, was a family of 4 burrowing owls.  Amazing (to me anyway), and yet the story is true.    

#ibmcsc brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment